For each kind of coaching, the underlying principles are very similar :
We will work together to:
- Establish some clear objectives – be they specific goals or broader themes
- Develop a deeper understanding of what is important to you and the underlying motivations and purposes
- Imagine some alternate futures and how you and others might perceive them
- Define some appropriate steps forward, and a method of assessing progress towards your objectives.
You can expect me to:
- Be genuinely interested in you as a person and how you can develop
- Be non-judgemental at all times
- Listen intently to try to fully understand what you are communicating verbally and physically
- Be committed to helping you get the best outcome
I would expect you to:
- Be open to me – and most importantly – to yourself
- Be prepared to consider many possibilities and options, not limited by today’s realities
- Be committed to helping yourself to get the best outcome
This can be very flexible depending on the situation, the urgency and your availability. The normal process would be :
- A free initial session to explore whether I could help, and whether we both feel that that we could work well together. We would also discuss what some of your specific objectives would be from an engagement.
- We agree a coaching contract. For individual coaching this would normally be for a 3 month or a 6 month period and would include an agreed number of sessions and follow up emails. Sessions are normally 90 minutes to 2 hours and can be face to face or over a video link.
- For team coaching or workshops the format could be a number of 2 hour up to full days sessions, depending on the requirement and your availability.
Code of Ethics.
Coaching is based on trust, and all coaches follow a strict code of ethics. The Association for Coaching and the EMCC have defined a set of ethical principles that all their members must adhere to. This sets the principles on confidentiality, conflict of interest and duty of care that I use as a basis for my coaching practice. A copy is available below.